No reason not to try this recipe. From the first time looking at the tempting custard filling, I decided right away to try. After all, we always like "Kue Soes" :) But for me, the one bought by my bf's sister from Singapore is still the best ever. I wish the man is kindly enough to share the recipe and tricks with me :p hehehe...
This recipe is from Pennylane's blog. Honestly, it's worth to try. The custard is nearly taste the same as the one bought from Singapore.
130 g "Cakra Kembar" flour
1 tsp Salt
100 g Margarine
250 ml Water
800 cc Milk
100 g Caster sugar *
5 Egg yolks
50 g Corn starch flour
100 cc Whipped cream
1 tbsp Unsalted butter
5 tbsp Rhum / Brandy (optional) **
1. Heat water, salt and margarine until boiling.
2. Add in flour, stir well. Let the dough warm.
3. Heat oven to 200 C.
4. Add in eggs to the dough one at a time while continue mixing (with spatula or mixer) until well mixed.
5. Spuit or spoon on to baking sheet layered with baking paper until the dough finish (you can make any sizes you want to :p, I made small ones, no mess just throw into your mouth). Bake for more or less 25 minutes. Do not open the oven while it's baking and if it's already 25 minutes and still have small bubbles on the Soes, let it stay for few minutes in the oven.
6. Directly cool on a wire rack to avoid the bottom Soes becoming lumpy.
1. Stir well corn starch flour with some of the milk. Put aside.
2. Mix egg yolk using a fork, and add in a little bit of milk. Put aside.
3. Heat the remaining milk and sugar, add in the corn starch mixture. Stir well and low the heat down.
4. Take few spoons of the milk, sugar and corn starch mixture and stir well in the egg mixture. This method is to get the egg mixture to nearly same temperature before pouring them together to get soft mixture.
5. Add in whipping cream, stir well and boil once more.
6. Lift away from heat and stir in butter. Keep stirring to cool.
Cut small line on the each Soes and fill in the custard using piping bag.
* 100 g is the modified version by Pennylane. But for me and my family, it's not sweet enough since the Soes has no taste. So, I think next time I'll go back to the original version 200 g.
** I don't add any of this cuz I want to keep the milky smell :p